The American Institute for Cognitive Therapy is an internationally recognized group of clinical psychologists and psychotherapists providing the highest quality cognitive-behavioral treatment for depression, anxiety, phobias, eating disorders, personality disorders, child and adolescent problems and family and marital problems.
Founded in 1985 as the Center for Cognitive Therapy we have provided successful, caring and highly professional treatment for thousands of patients.
The Director, Dr. Robert L. Leahy (B.A., M.S., Ph.D. Yale University), has authored and edited 23 books on cognitive therapy and psychological processes and is the Past-President of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy (ABCT), Past-President of the International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy, Past-President of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy and Clinical Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at Weill-Cornell Medical School. Dr. Leahy is the Honorary Life-time President, New York City Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Association and Distinguished Founding Fellow, Diplomate, of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy.
Dr. Leahy is the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Cognitive Therapy. Dr. Leahy recently received the Aaron T. Beck Award for Outstanding Contributions in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy.
You can read Dr. Leahy's Blog "Anxiety Free" at PsychologyToday.com and his blog on Huffington Post.
Our staff provide evaluations and treatment for psychological problems, state-of-the-art cognitive-behavioral therapy, and training for other professionals. Many members of our staff teach and supervise in graduate programs and medical schools in the New York City area and have authored research articles and chapters on cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Read AICT's Tips of the Week
Are you looking for specific information?
Try our search function to search our site!
Para información en español haz - clic aquí
Exclusive Media Events
Dr. Robert Leahy Appeared on 20/20 with John Stossel
to discuss anxiety and worry.
DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO TO WATCH DR. LEAHY ON 20/20
(The video segment featuring Dr. Leahy is 20 minutes long and
you will need Quicktime or Real Player to view this video.)
Purchase Treatment Plans and Interventions (2nd ed.)and Emotion Regulation in Psychotherapy from
PRESS: VISIT THE WORRY CURE HOMEPAGE.
SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT
THE WORRY CURE (CLICK HERE)
Recent Media Coverage:
- You can read a sample chapter on the Social Construction of Emotion from my new book, Emotional Schema Therapy, published by Guilford Publications. It is due out in a few weeks. I advance a social cognitive model of emotion in this new book - Click Here to Read the Chapter
- Dr. Leahy discusses worry with the Danish Press, January 30, 2015: Watch the Video Here
- Dr. Oliff is quoted on Grandparents.com, January 29, 2015: How to Stop Worrying So Much
- Dr. Melissa Horowitz discusses stress and panic attacks: How to Tell if You're Actually Having a Panic Attacks
- A Conversation Between Dr. Leahy and Aaron T. Beck: ATB Awards Ceremony Conversation 2014
- Dr. Leahy discusses validation with Elle Magazine - Generation Validation: Why Everyone Just Wants To Be Liked
- Dr. Leahy and Maria Shriver discuss the effects of Unemployment on Health for NBCNews.com - Life Ed: Keeping A Healthy Frame of Mind During Unemployment
- Dr. Horowitz discusses the fear of subway grates with WPIX in NY - Why Your Fear of Walking on NYC Sidewalk Grates is Understandable but Unnecessary
- Dr. Leahy was featured in Woman's World Magazine - “Help! I worry all the time!”
- Dr. Leahy discusses money worries with Woman's Day - 4 Ways to Ease Your Money Worries
- Read Dr. Leahy's article on Unemployment in the Advances in Cognitive Therapy Newsletter - Cognitive Behavior Therapy for The Unemployed
- Dr. Leahy was featured on CNN Living - Don't Sabotage Your Wallet This Holiday
- Read a review of Dr. Leahy's book "Treatment Plans and Interventions for Depression and Anxiety Disorders", Second Edition
- Dr. Leahy discusses Unemployment with MPR News - Outlook Remains Grim for the Long-Term Jobless
- Dr. Melissa Horowitz talks with DNA Info about realistic resolutions - How to Quit Anything: Tips for Keeping Your Resolutions
- Dr. Jenny Taitz was featured on Fox News - Body Descriptions: To Euphemize or Accurately define?
- AARP and Life Reimagined discuss worry with Dr. Leahy - What, Me Worry? Never Again
- Dr. Leahy explores Work Stress with Forbes Magazine - When Work Stress Yields Depression It's Unbearable
- Keeping Your Head After Losing Your Job by Dr. Robert Leahy was featured on the Pat Kenny Show - Keeping Your Head After Losing Your Job
- The London Times features Dr. Leahy and his new book, Keeping Your Head After Losing Your Job - The Secret to Surviving Redundancy
- CBS News and Dr. Leahy explore the effects of unemployment on marriage - How Long-Term Unemployment Can Affect Your Marriage
- BBC Radio and Dr. Robert Leahy discuss Keeping Your Head after Losing Your Job - Listen to the Interview at BBC Radio or download the interview here
- Dr. Leahy is a guest blogger for Piatkus Books. Read his blog posts on Unemployment
- The Worry Cure was chosen as one of the top 30 books to help overcome stress and depression - Which books could help overcome stress and depression?
- Dr. Leahy discusses Anxiety on The John Tesh Radio Show - Dealing with Anxiety
- The Washington Post and Dr. Leahy discuss how to survive unemployment - How to Survive a Lay Off
- CNN.com and Dr. Robert Leahy help you live stress free - Your Detour to a Stress-Free Life
- Dr. Leahy discusses the difficulties of being unemployed with CNN.com - Unemployment Takes Tough Mental Toll
- Watch Dr. Leahy discuss the psychological effects of Unemployment on The Early Show on CBS - Impact On Jobless Goes Far Beyond The Wallet
- Dr. Leahy interviewed by CBS Radio - Why Men Don't Listen
- Dr. Tirch discussing ACT in the Wall Street Journal - Conquering Fear
- Dr. Leahy was quoted in the New York Times article What Recovery? For the Unemployed, the Pain Gets Worse
- The Washington Post and Dr. Leahy provide 10 tips on How to Survive a Layoff
- Newsweek and Dr. Leahy discuss financial worry
- Oprah Recommends the Worry Cure
- Forbes Magazine recommends Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy as the recommended mode of treatment
- Dr. Leahy discusses anger management and holiday rage on ABC's Good Morning America
Click Here to See More Media Coverage on Dr. Leahy
Interested in becoming a member of the NYC-CBT Association? Mail in an Application
to the Membership Director.
AICT's HIPAA Policy
- Read Policy
Dr. Robert L. Leahy, Psychologist, PC Doing Business As "Center for Cognitive Therapy," "The American Institute for Cognitive Therapy," and "The American Center for Cognitive Therapy"
Disclaimer: The contents of CognitiveTherapyNYC.com, such as text, graphics, images, information and other material contained on the CognitiveTherapyNYC.com Site ("Content") are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the CognitiveTherapyNYC.com Site!
The Content is protected by copyright under both United States and foreign laws. Title to the Content remains with CognitiveTherapyNYC.com. Any use of the Content not expressly permitted by these Terms and Conditions is a breach of these Terms and Conditions and may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. Content and features are subject to change or termination without notice in the editorial discretion of CognitiveTherapyNYC.com. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to CognitiveTherapyNYC.com.
All Content on this website is copyrighted © Robert L. Leahy, PhD. All Rights Reserved.